Monday, July 14, 2008

Cycle Commuting

Since I started my new job around 6 weeks ago I've started commuting to work by bike. I started this for mainly logistical reasons - my new job has little in the way of convenient car parking, and the cycling time is less than either the combined car and walking time, or waiting for the bus.

Since I've started cycling to work I've suddenly realised how it has so many benefits, and wonder why I didn't do it sooner. For starters it's free - no more paying for petrol or bus fares for the commute; it's good for the environment - 100% green and carbon free; it's good for my fitness; it's fast; it keeps a car off the road and makes life easier for those who need to commute by car or bus...the list goes on.

The downsides? Well, it can be cold or wet. And my chances of dying on the way to work are possibly a tiny bit higher than when I was driving. But apart from that I can't think of many negatives.

So, it's frugal, green, healthy and fast. And it feels great to arrive at work refreshed, alive and ready to face the day. I would encourage anyone who can to give it a go - jump on your bike, I guarantee you won't look back.

No comments: